Saturday, February 9, 2008

There is a cure for sleepless nights (For Some People)

A man who could not get a good night sleep for nearly 20 years because of a medical disorder has been cured.
Philip Skeates, 39, has sleep apnea, which causes his airways to become blocked, causing him to snore loudly and leaving him exhausted every day. Doctors at Great Western Hospital in Swindon monitored him and found he stopped breathing 90 times an hour. A machine with a mask which helps open up breathing passages now helps him get up to seven hours sleep a night. He said that since he began using the continuous positive airways pressure (CPAP) machine, life had improved immensely.
Photo from here.

PERSONAL NOTE: I also have a problem with sleep apnea but I was also cured with a CPAP machine six years ago. I did have problems with driving but I was lucky nothing happen. I was lucky because I live by myself at the time, I felt something was wrong when I wake up in the middle of the night coughing.

No comments: