Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Plane enthusiast's dream date

A 71-year-old woman who visits Manchester airport every week, but has never been on a plane, has finally boarded her favorite jet.
Rosemary Bate, 71, goes to the Aviation Viewing Park every weekend and marvels at the pilots who land the Cathay Pacific 747 cargo plane.
Ms Bate wrote to airport bosses asking them to "fix it" for her to meet the aircraft's pilots.
She was invited on board and said it was "a dream come true".
“I have been interested in the Cathay Pacific cargo plane as it is so large I can't comprehend the skill and talent it must take in landing it here”
Rosemary Bate
Captain John Rands welcomed Ms Bate on board the plane before it headed to Hong Kong.
Ms Bate said she never even expected a reply from the airport.
"I have actually never been on a plane in my whole life so I really enjoy coming to the airport at the weekend for the excitement of seeing the aircraft take off and land," she said.
"I have been interested in the Cathay Pacific cargo plane as it is so large I can't comprehend the skill and talent it must take in landing it here.
"I have felt like an excitable child at the thought of having a look around the aircraft today, it really has made my dreams come true."
Andrew Cornish, Manchester Airport's Managing Director, said Ms Bate's was a "particularly unusual request".
"I am very pleased we were able to fix it so Mrs. Bate got to live out her dream and I'm glad that she enjoyed it," he said.
.
Rosemary Bate was on cloud nine when she got to go on board her favorite aircraft.
.
.

No comments: