Friday, July 18, 2008

The Story Behind 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'

In America, baseball is called the national pastime. Organized baseball was well into its glory years before other sports such as football, basketball, hockey and soccer were drawing much of an audience. It is only natural that one of America's most popular sing-along songs relates to the sport.
Take Me Out to the Ball Game' is a simple tune that tells of a girl who wants her beau to take her to a baseball game instead of to another popular spot. The song turns 100 years old this year, and the United States Postal Service has commemorated the event with a beautiful new stamp.
Take me out to the ball game, Take me out with the crowds; Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, I don't care if I never get back. Let me root, root, root for the home team, If they don't win, it's a shame. For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out, At the old ball game.

1 comment:

Tony Servies said...

Thanks for linking my article on "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". Thanks in advance for the traffic that your link will send me way.

Like your blog, mine is a family-friendly site. My focus for 4 days out of the week is on stamp collecting and philately in general. At the end of the week I post a "Fun Friday" post that is more for the casual reader, whether they collect stamps or not.

Be sure to stop by and see if any other articles will work for your site.

Thanks,
Tony
Stamps of Distinction
http://www.stampsofdistinction.com